From Tom Kitchin <tkitc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: User comments on ticket modification UI
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 16:46:38 GMT
Okay, I can see the reasoning there, Gary.  In that case, how about moving
the accept/reassign/resolve stuff to the Overview section?  The Status is
already there, we just have to make it editable and add an Assignee field,
or maybe create some status changing buttons below the Overview or
something along those lines.  Taking that functionality out of the submit
button will make it clearer.

Your point about keeping state changes together makes sense to me but at
the moment I don't think the submit button encourages that in any case -
it's at the top, and it jumps to the comment field when used.  This
encourages comments (great!) but not changing anything else in-between
because it's just hopped over it.  If the status/assignment/etc. changes
were made below the spy rather than above it I suspect it would encourage
users to think about the rest of the ticket while they did so, in case
anything else they wanted to change at the same time occurs to them.  The
spy is a bit of a psychological barrier, to my mind - anything above it is
going to be perceived as *the* single fundamental action the user is doing,
while anything done below it is one part of a set of edits to the whole
ticket, and other necessary changes will probably be considered at the same
time.

Amateur psychology at best, I grant you.

Tom