From Gary Martin <>
Subject Re: [BEP-0003] Database upgrade to multi-product (Was: Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #406: Database upgrade to multiproduct)
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 03:08:02 GMT
On 26/02/13 09:07, Andrej Golcov wrote:
>> Once again this is not accurate . Product URL mappings will be
>> http://host/env/products/<prefix>/ticket/1
>> ... notice 'products' path prefix
>> URLs for global env will be just like they are now
>> http://host/env/ticket/1
> That means, BH user will have tickets available with the following urls:
> http://host/env/ticket/1 - for NULL prefix
> http://host/env/products/prod1/ticket/2
> http://host/env/products/prod2/ticket/3
> And wiki links will probably look like (as far as I understand
> previous discussion on this subject):
> #<delimiter>1 - I think we cannot use "#1" since it should be reserved
> for relative within product links to avoid migration problems
> #prod1<delimiter>2
> #prod2<delimiter>3
> IMHO, it is user confusing.
> Cheers, Andrej

I don't think that #prod1<delimiter>123 works for me. Would we also
expect to see milestone:prod1<delimiter>milestone1 as appropriate? I
would encourage prod1<delimiter>123, prod1<delimiter>#123 and
prod1<delimiter>milestone:milestone1 instead though that is

I am expecting #123 to resolve to the appropriate ticket number within
each product which, as already pointed out, helps with migration
problems. I don't see why this would be a particular problem for the
global env. #123 works equally well there when you are within global scope.

For me, the only issue is how tickets within a product will refer to
tickets in the global scope. There are actually a fair number of
potential solutions including:

 1. Reserve a keyword to represent the global env (e.g. def, default,
    global, null or whatever)
 2. Allow for a missing product within product syntax to work (e.g.
    <delimiter>123, <delimiter>#123, product:#123 and product::ticket:123)
 3. Use empty quotes to miss out the product prefix (e.g.
    ''<delimiter>123, ''<delimiter>#123, product:'':#123 and

We could also consider only allowing the longhand forms of 2 or 3 above.
I find myself leaning towards a reserved product name although I realise
that such an approach could clash with existing product prefixes.