From Branko ─îibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [BEP-0003] Database upgrade to multi-product (Was: Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #406: Database upgrade to multiproduct)
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2013 02:03:14 GMT
On 21.02.2013 18:05, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On 2/21/13, Jure Zitnik <jure@digiverse.si> wrote:
>> On 2/20/13 5:21 PM, Olemis Lang wrote:
>>> On 2/20/13, Andrej Golcov <andrej@digiverse.si> wrote:
> [...]
>>>>
>>> -1 ... IMO we the prefix for the global environment should be an empty
>>> string (i.e. '') or NULL (/me slightly in favor of the former) . That
>>> will allow us to reserve special behavior for that prefix value (if
>>> needed) and will not clash with any other valid product prefix since
>>> it's a required field in create product web form (... admin command ,
>>> ...)
>>>
>> Just to clarify, the prefix of the 'global environment' is an empty
>> string (''). This will, at the moment, only be used for permissions.
>>
> Yes , understood .
> ;)
>
>> The 'default' prefix (or 'def') is used for a product to which all the
>> tickets that don't have product assigned are migrated to (during the
>> database upgrade process). The product itself is automatically added
>> during the upgrade/migration process.
>>
> That's kind of what I was meaning in my reply .
>
>   1. Consider ticket without product before migration to be
>       tickets filed against the global environment .
>   2. Use gobal env just like any other product env with
>       prefix = '' , not just permissions
>   3. No need to create 'default' product while on upgrade
>
> PS: In the migration process we should also replicate (i.e. in DB) or
> inherit product configs from a single file . I advocate for the later
> .

I have to say that for once I completely agree with Olemis. NULL table
column, and empty UI prefix equals "it all looks exactly like it used to
before the migration" and it also can't collide with any existing
product names or prefixes.

Furthermore, doing it this way, if a user installs Bloodhound but
doesn't want to bother with product namespaces, everything will Just Work.

-- Brane

--
Branko ─îibej