From Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] File descriptor overflow running the test suite WAS: [BEP-0003] #355 - Summary of the work done towards multi-product support (2013-02-16)
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2013 01:56:46 GMT
On 21.02.2013 22:00, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On 2/21/13, Branko Čibej <brane@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> On 20.02.2013 11:43, Jure Zitnik wrote:
>>
> [...]
>> Control of the location of temporary databases (hence, temporary tables)
>> is independent of the type of the main database. You can issue this
>> statement:
>>
>>     PRAGMA temp_store = MEMORY;
>>
>> when you open the sqlite connection, this will override whatever
>> compile-time default your SQLite installation has and force the
>> temporary database to be in-memory. See:
>>
>> http://www.sqlite.org/pragma.html#pragma_temp_store
>>
> I wouldn't be against using this ... as long as it won't cause major trouble .

That depends. This setting is per-connection, so theoretically you could
use it only during testing or database upgrade, and not during other
operations.

It also helps if whatever is opening the connections cleans up after
itself and closes them after it's done, or you're likely to get dangling
transactions (eventually) and heisenbugs that, of course, only show up
at a user's site and cannot be replicated locally. :)

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej