From Ryan Ollos <ryan.ol...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Pastebin service for apache.org domain
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2013 08:11:56 GMT
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM, Olemis Lang <olemis@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> I don't think there's any preference, I've seen people use all sorts.
> >> What kind of "long piece of text" do you specifically have in mind, that
> >> you couldn't put in the Bloodhound Wiki?
> >>

> Relatively transient test reports (i.e. like those I've been pasting
> in my recent comments posted to i.a.o) , some may be long , install
> logs illustrating failures, (maybe) sample code ... things like that .

Those are valid reasons in my opinion. I often see code samples pasted into
emails, which is valid in the case that we don't have an associated ticket,
or we don't want the code sample to be that "permanent" yet. From my
experience, I'd say it can also be useful for chat / IRC sessions.

The TracPastePlugin is pretty simple so far, but one feature I think would
make it very valuable is the ability to have pastes expire (1). That gives
us a feature we don't have in wiki pages, because some stuff just doesn't
need to live forever (and it's unlikely anyone will go through and cleanup
the wiki very often if we try to use it as a pastebin). When the "expire"
feature is implemented, I'd like to have an option to prevent pastes that
are linked to via TracLinks (or BloodhoundLinks ;) from expiring. For
example, a paste with a TracLink in the HEAD revision of a resource
wouldn't expire, but the paste could expire if the TracLink no longer
existed in any HEAD revision of a resource.

Having a feature like this could make Bloodhound more appealing to other
open source projects too, even if it has to be installed as plugin (i.e.
doesn't ship with the BH package). Just demoing the feature on i.a.o, or
perhaps adding the plugin to a list of plugins that we've tested with
Bloodhound, could be valuable.

If we have the feature, we need to make sure to use it appropriately, and
it's often more appropriate to attach a patch to a ticket, or otherwise
associate it with it's most significant resource (e.g. a BEP).

(1) http://trac-hacks.org/ticket/5695