From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Improved search branch
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:12:29 GMT
On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 16/01/13 16:17, Andrej Golcov wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Last few weeks I worked on prototype of Improved Search Architecture #285
>> [1]
>> It looks like resulting code becoming bigger and more complex than it
>> was expected at the begging. That leads to sending of big patch files
>> which are difficult to review and manage.
>>
>> I suggest a new "bhsearch" branch is created where I have commit
>> access. In this cas, I can commit more granular changes on this branch
>> and people can see changes and feedback earlier. When functionality is
>> stable, merge request to trunk will be asked.
>>
>> What do you think?
>

> Unfortunately I don't think we can do that at this point. Give us a little
> time and we may be able to come up with other solutions but in my
> experience, more little patches tend to be easier to review and provide
> better opportunities to discuss ideas as they shape up.

Huh? For large or complicated features, what is wrong with a branch
where we can observe the incremental progress?

This is especially good for experiments, where it isn't certain the
result will be accepted. At any point, we can simply say "darn. didn't
work." and rm the branch with no effect to trunk.

(in general, I prefer trunk for all *known-accepted* work)

Cheers,
-g