From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [BEP-0003] [RFC] Permissions in product scope
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:31:00 GMT
On 23/01/13 02:16, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On 1/22/13, Peter Koželj <peter@digiverse.si> wrote:
> [...]
>> The real question for me is: while all this seems useful, is it important
>> enough to complicate things at this point in time?
> In real life , yes it is . Think of an hypothetical deployment in ASF
> servers for ASF projects , and you'll soon notice how much infra will
> complain about it ... maybe somebody from infra might be more specific
> and talk from a server admin perspective .
>
>> Do not get me wrong, I do think it should be solved sooner than later, but
>> it should not block us form rolling out a multiproducts without it.
>>
> 0+
>
> ... that's exactly why I didn't follow with developing this particular
> sort of features , but started the debate early so as to come back to
> this discussion at the right time and summarize the important facts
> with the purpose in mind of getting it done
> ;)

Early debate is fine but Peter's point is very well made. It is almost
certainly a good idea to be able to delegate duties to product admins
but not strictly essential for the moment and so it is not an aspect
that should block release of the new multi product code.

Incidentally, I would like the current multi product work to be
integrated back into trunk fairly soon if the approach is basically
working - and when it is known that it will not break anything of course.

Cheers,
     Gary