From Branko ─îibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Improved search branch
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:19:36 GMT
On 16.01.2013 17:55, Gary Martin wrote:
> On 16/01/13 16:17, Andrej Golcov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Last few weeks I worked on prototype of Improved Search Architecture
>> #285 [1]
>> It looks like resulting code becoming bigger and more complex than it
>> was expected at the begging. That leads to sending of big patch files
>> which are difficult to review and manage.
>>
>> I suggest a new "bhsearch" branch is created where I have commit
>> access. In this cas, I can commit more granular changes on this branch
>> and people can see changes and feedback earlier. When functionality is
>> stable, merge request to trunk will be asked.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Unfortunately I don't think we can do that at this point.

Can you name one good reason for not giving Andrej commit access to one
specific branch on which he can develop the search infrastructure?
Obviously that involves making him a committer, but, also obviously,
you'll ask him to refrain from making changes outside the branch. You
can always revert changes and/or his commit privs if he repeatedly
oversteps those bounds (until you're comfortable with granting him full
committer status).

You can still require him to send patches for review for trunk changes
-- e.g., the Windows install script he proposed in another thread.

The whole idea is to lower the bar for contributors. Also, one of the
goals of incubation is to teach the community to manage these kinds of
contributions, so here's a perfect opportunity to learn.

> Give us a little time and we may be able to come up with other
> solutions but in my experience, more little patches tend to be easier
> to review and provide better opportunities to discuss ideas as they
> shape up.

This is exactly what he's proposing, except that instead of sending
small patches to the dev list, he'd make small commits to the branch.
Same difference, and easier to integrate into the mainline later on.

>From the above you can assume that if (but I hope when) the PPMC votes
on this issue, you have my +1.

-- Brane

--