From Ryan Ollos <>
Subject Re: Top 3rd party plugins
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2012 20:16:09 GMT
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 3:46 AM, Jure Zitnik <> wrote:

> Hi all,
> does anybody have an idea where/how I could get a list of most commonly
> used trac 3rd party plugins? I've been looking at but
> there's no 'most popular' section there ;)
> Cheers,
> Jure
Hi Jure,

The closest thing I know of is the WhatUsersWant page on t.e.o [1]. There
are also some suggestions on the SiteUpgradeProposal [2] on how we can
gauge the popularity and stability of plugins. The first step, when I/we
finally get the site upgraded to trac 1.0, is to add download statistics.
However, there are so many ways of getting a plugin: install from PyPI,
download ZIP from t-h.o, checkout from  t-h.o SVN; and number of downloads
does not necessarily reflect the number of installs for obvious reasons -
therefore this will hardly be a great measure.

I think we'd find support for installing a plugin on t-h.o that would allow
authenticated users to "vote up" plugins. This could be something like an
"I use this" button on each page, and we could have a view of the site-wide
data on plugin usage. This voting plugin would have be developed though.

There exists at least two PollMacros and a VotePlugin which could serve as
starting points for creating the plugin we need to collect the data. The
VotePlugin is used on t.e.o; you can see it in action by navigating to a
ticket and seeing the up/down arrows in the contextual navigation area.
I've been maintaining this plugin, but haven't done much with it lately. We
could extend it to do what I suggested here in a few days works. Installing
it on t-h.o would require a site upgrade as well.

It would be more practical to just create a poll using a third party tool,
and post the poll to the trac and bloodhound communities. We could even
allow for voting on the most desired plugins that don't yet exist. I think
this would be fairly well received in the trac community, even if it
originated from the Bloodhound community. I don't have a good guess as to
what kind of response we would get.

I feel like I have a fairly good sense of the popularity of various
plugins. My list would potentially be biased though, so maybe we want to go
one of these other routes in order to get real data.