From Andrej Golcov <and...@digiverse.si>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] Proposals/BEP-0004/ResourceQuery added
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 13:43:51 GMT
Hi,

> It does worry me that it might not be the best idea to support lucene as
> well as existing syntax but if there are existing parsers for the lucene
> style syntax it may be OK. Perhaps there is a way of using Whoosh to
> provide parsing services for us.
Do you mean to use Whoosh query parser to parse Bloodhound Search query?
That will bring us a lot functionality with much less effort and bugs.
>From the first look, Whoosh query syntax
(http://packages.python.org/Whoosh/querylang.html) covers at least 90%
of our requirements. According to Whoosh code, it can be also
extended: http://packages.python.org/Whoosh/parsing.html. In case of
PyLucene usage, we will provide query mapping from Whoosh to Lucen.

There are few drawbacks that I can see:
 - we have to follow Whoosh syntax and not imagine ourselves, at least
in basics  - may be it  is not a drawback :)
 - Bloodhound Search plugin will depend on Whoosh even if other search
backend is used e.g. PyLucene

If we can leave with this, I vote for starting prototype with Whoosh
syntax and parser since it will speedup features delivery. Anyway, we
can implement our own parser later.

Regards, Andrej