From Olemis Lang <>
Subject Re: Browser, HTML and JS support
Date Sun, 02 Dec 2012 23:40:10 GMT
On 12/1/12, Branko Čibej <> wrote:
> On 01.12.2012 17:41, Olemis Lang wrote:
>> On 12/1/12, Branko Čibej <> wrote:
>>> On 01.12.2012 07:41, Olemis Lang wrote:
>> Instead of «supporting non-JS clients» maybe it's more accurate to say
>> «not to turn non-JS clients unusable» since the idea is not to spend
>> time developing a marvelous non-JS experience . The idea consists in
>> providing quick navigation paths so that such users will be able to
>> perform basic tasks . A naïve approach is to design templates and ,
>> before anything else, check they work with nothing else on top . Let's
>> add the rest later.
> This is /precisely/ what Peter is worried about: designing UX on top of
> a dumb interface instead of the other way around. You're letting your
> personal experience cloud your thinking.

you are right ...

> It's high time this project showed some real progress if you want to
> attract a user base. Hanging an albatross around your neck isn't going
> to help at all.

... thus I won't try to influence your decision about non-JS support anymore .

>> If we don't design with that goal in mind since the beginning then it
>> will always be a loose end . IMO there are other major obstacles when
>> it comes to analyze what might jeopardize the existence of the project
>> .
> I think you should take a hint from Jira, which says:
> " Warning: either you have JavaScript disabled or your browser does not
> support JavaScript. To work properly, this page requires JavaScript to
> be enabled."
> My best guess at the reason for this is that it's /hard/ to write a
> Javascript-less fallback for a good UI. The 80/20 rule would certainly
> apply.

Nonetheless if we are going to see Atlassian as a reference , just
know that I am not fond of their (recent?) decisions to turn
functional software into beautiful but useless tools .

FWIW I hope you'll understand why I second previous comments posted by
Gary and Joachim , and also that this does not mean that I think you
are wrong . Probably we are just looking at the same subject from a
different perspective .

Blog ES:
Blog EN:

Featured article: