From Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Bloodhound Python version
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2012 19:15:50 GMT
On 10.12.2012 16:32, Gary Martin wrote:
> On 10 December 2012 15:20, Olemis Lang <olemis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/10/12, Andrej Golcov <andrej@digiverse.si> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>> :)
>>
>>> Sorry if this question was already discussed but I can't find any notes
>> on
>>> this.
>>>
>>> What python version should Bloodhound support?
>>> Is it the same as Trac 1.0: ≥ 2.5 and < 3.0?
>>>
>>> As I can see, "with" statement is used in Bloodhound code without
>>> __future__ import. Does it mean that Bloodhound targets ≥ 2.6
>>> environment?
>>>
>> FWIW , some issues have been detected running Bloodhound on Windows
>> with Python=2.6.1 .
>>
>>> My +1 for 2.6 and higher support :)
>>>
>> +1
>>
> I'm happy with 2.6 & 2.7. It is possible that we would miss out on native
> package installation on some platforms but we can clearly ignore that for
> now.
>
> Equally, I don't mind seeing __future__ imports being used in our code
> either.

I strongly suggest this:

from __future__ import with_statement, division, absolute_import

With and division are no-brainers. Absolute_import is a bit of a pain to
get used to, but tremendously simplifies 2to3 conversion.

Regardless of what the trac core and external plugin code does, I
suggest you add a Jenkins job that runs 2to3 and reports what it finds.
It may not be a bad idea to keep the incompatibilities to an absolute
minimum.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej