From Joachim Dreimann <joachim.dreim...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Improved Search Architecture - Query Results View and Resource Query (Was: Re: [Apache Bloodhound] Proposals/BEP-0004 added)
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:33:57 GMT
On 22 November 2012 12:56, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:

> Next a few comments on the Query Result view and Resource Query sections:
>
> On 22/11/12 11:08, Andrej Golcov wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've just added first draft of proposal for search improvements. So, let's
>> discuss it :)
>>
>> I suggest that we agree on functional requirements and then pass to
>> possible implementation.
>>
>> Regards, Andrej
>>

>> On 22 November 2012 11:32, Apache Bloodhound <
>> bloodhound-dev@incubator.**apache.org<bloodhound-dev@incubator.apache.org>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Page "Proposals/BEP-0004" was added by andrej
>>> Content:
>>> -------8<------8<------8<-----**-8<------8<------8<------8<---**
>>> ---8<--------
>>>
>>> = BEP 4 : Improved search architecture #overview
>>>
>> [snip]
>

>>> === Query Result view
>>>
>>> Query Result view represents consistent view of query result for
>>> different
>>> resources. Result may be represented as
>>>    - All resources result tab - default, common for all resources columns
>>> e.g. name and description
>>>    - Resource result tabs - resource specific fields are shown e.g. id,
>>> status, summary for ticket.
>>>    - Query Result view can be instructed to limit result to specific
>>> resource type e.g. show only tickets in result. In this case, resource
>>> tabs
>>> can be omitted.
>>>

> Presumably, this would be a part of the new query syntax so that it can be
> relatively easy to filter before getting to this page.
>
>> User can refine search conditions either by editing query or by using
>>> Query Builder.
>>>

> I would like to see others comment on the mockup for the query builder.
> Consistency with other views suggest that there may be space on the right
> hand side, replacing the activity area - I assume that we will not be
> displying activity on any search/query screen.

I like that suggestion, replacing the activity area with a query builder in
the UI. I've raised ticket #272 to create a mockup for this.

>  User can specify what fields should be selected and in what results order
>>> should be applied. A new order type is introduced for free-text search:
>>> score
>>>
>>> Query Result view should support facets (
>>> http://searchhub.org/2009/09/**02/faceted-search-with-solr/<http://searchhub.org/2009/09/02/faceted-search-with-solr/>)
>>>  for example:
>>>    - All resources result tab can show facets for resource type and
>>> product
>>>    - Ticket result tab can show facets for products and ticket status
>>>

> Facets seem to me to be a very important enhancement.

I agree. This would be a great feature to have and build upon.

#230 is the suggestion for Custom Queries to show recent queries. There was
also a suggestion to be able to save queries. Just thought it may be
relevant here to mention it.

--
Joe Dreimann
*