From Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>
Subject White-labeling and "detracifying"
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2012 08:40:07 GMT
Hi,

I would need to add some white-labeling support to Bloodhound. At the same
time I would also use the feature to change or remove some of the Trac
references throughout the application. The credits to the Trac and relation
description between Bloodhound and Trac needs to stay but there are
numerous points where Trac references serve no real purpose but to
potentially confuse new users. So this is I plan of what I intend to do or
is at least worth discussing:

1. Add ability to rename Bloodhound label in ui by changing configuration
file (white-labeling equivalent of i18n file) This same configuration would
be used for replacing Trac references where we would see fit. Personally I
would only leave the reference to Trac in Apps/About Bloodhound

2. Use the configuration for labeling in generated content (email
notifications) configurable

3. Make footer text configurable by the same configuration file

4. Trac version is referenced on all pages, as already said it should be
removed or moved to About page. Code wise references to Trac version happen
on multiple places, sometimes to hardcoded Trac version sometiemes to a
“calculated” one. We need to fix that.

5. Various readme files reference Trac as dependencies. This should be
examined more closely. Given that forked Trac version is bundled with BH it
seems that any dependencies on Trac as external project are not only
unnecessary but actually wrong! There is no white labeling features planned
for this
6. Plugins Kindly ask all plugin authors to take advantage of the new
white-labeling configuration file if it exists, offer white-labling feature
back to Trac.

7. Documentation (wiki) is full of Trac references, pages themselves
contain "Trac" in there name and in addition to that many of the links
contain "Trac" in text as well. And all of this very inconsistent applied.

But there is an even bigger issue with documentation. With BH gaining new
features the Trac documentation will be less and less relevant and may even
become misleading at some point. I would at least remove "Trac" in links
until Trac documentation is replaced by Bloodhound documentation

We could also remove "Trac" from the wiki page names. In fact there is some
code in bloodhound_dashboard/bhdashboard/admin.py
that implies that somebody was already thinking along that lines. Can
someone elaborate?
8. Some of the Trac references appear in the names of the tools and
programming constructs of the Trac itself.
   These do not need to be white-labeled but it would be nice if we could
rename them more neutrally. This include:

  o TRAC_ADMIN premission
  o trac-admin CLI command
  o cleartracd CLI command
  o error handling: TracError is displayed in error report that user sees

---

I intend to do the first 5 or 6 items in the following weeks. For
documentation we would need to decide what do we want to do with it in mid
and long term. Some aspects of 8 can be hard to do and I am not certain yet
if they are worthwile.

Peter