From Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>
Subject Browser, HTML and JS support
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:54:08 GMT
The question of browser, html versions and no-JS support came up recently
in a couple of threads.
This deserves a thread on it own. Here is my proposal:

HTML VERSION
We should migrate to HTML5. We are already using some of it and should make
it official (HTML header)

DESKTOP BROWSER ("official" support)
- Google Chrome on Windows and OSX
- Mozilla Firefox  on Windows and OSX
- IE on Windows
- Safari on OSX
For all browser only major versions released in last 18months
are officially supported.
Compatibility with other or older browser is welcomed but we should not
spend extra energy on it or even worse, design UI for it.

TABLETS and SMART PHONES
Responsive layout is nice but to actually support specific devices/browser
would require that we actually posses those devices for development and
testing.
For now I would not support specific devices or platforms. All we can say
"screen size adaptable" or something.

JAVASCRIPT
Is required! We should not spend time and energy on this right now. We have
much bigger things to worry about.
No javascript fallbacks can always be added later, and it also decreases
the risk for designing to the minimal common denominator which is extremely
low for non-javascript variant.

Regards,
Peter