From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #260: Search improvements
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2012 05:57:55 GMT
> On 16 November 2012 17:12, Andrej Golcov <andrej@digiverse.si> wrote:
>
>> + 1 to improve search relevance. I'm also interested in helping on
>> subject.
>>
>> IMHO, we should also consider Woosh [4] as possible solution as
>> python-only
>> library to bypass external dependency on java.
>>
>> [1] and [2] are interesting links on implementation of Trac Search plugin
>> with Woosh.
>>
>> [1]
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!msg/trac-dev/sbU-g0C6kvk/1_juL29aAtQJ
>> [2]http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/AdvancedSearch
>> [3]http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/SearchRefactoring
>> [4]http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Whoosh/
>>

> Excellent! Solr may well complicate setup so I was interested in looking
> for python solutions. I was wondering if there was anything that made some
> use of something like http://nltk.org but that may well be overkill.

If you ask me instead of Solr (which looks to me like a big-thing
standalone J2EE web application) we should be thinking of using Lucene
directly at a lower level

"Solr uses the Lucene Java search library at its core for full-text
indexing and search" [1]_

We could interface with it via PyLucene [2]_

> A few relevant plugins at trac-hacks:
>   http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/FullTextSearchPlugin
>   http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracAdvancedSearchPlugin

[...]

FWIW I prefer to move forward with the second . It already offers Solr
backend and claims to be designed with extensions points to add more .
So it seems to be more appropriate to create either Whoosh or PyLucene
backend ... or maybe both ...

.. [1] Apache Solr
        (http://lucene.apache.org/solr/)

.. [2] Welcome to PyLucene