From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Genshi XHTML + HTML 5
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:17:18 GMT
On 11/26/12, Joe Dreimann <joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 26 Nov 2012, at 07:03, Peter Koželj <peter@digiverse.si> wrote:
>> On 25 November 2012 20:07, Matevz Bradac <matevzb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've started working on #217 - "Make Bloodhound's layout responsive",
>>> based on Joe's html mockup of the ticket page (#240).
>>> I noticed that the HTML output contains a mix of HTML 5 along with
>>> XHTML 1.0, even though the doctype is XHTML 1.0 strict.
>>> As a consequence (some of) the pages don't validate (e.g.
>>>
>>> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/240
>>> ),
>>> and this may be the cause of browsers (mis)behaving and rendering
>>> things differently.
>>>
>>> Is there any general consensus which doctype BH should use?

At least I didn't pay attention to this ... and afaicr I saw nothing
like that in mockup either

>>> Since
>>> we're using Bootstrap I suppose it would be better to go along
>>> with HTML 5, but I'm not sure how this affects the templating system.

Should be OK , afaicr . Genshi is about XML

>>> There's a Genshi extension which could be used
>>> (http://code.google.com/p/genshihtml5),
>>> does anyone have any experience with that?

What's the benefit for using this ?

>> The other thread "Inline editing of objects" (for the Ticket page)
>> suggest
>> fallback mechanism for javascript disabled browsers.
>> Although this is not directly linked I would rather "advertise" BH as
>> HTML5
>> UI experience than a no-javascript capable one.
>>
>> Is anybody aware of any browser that is actually incapable of displaying
>> HTML5 page?
>>
>> Peter
>>

> To my knowledge all relevant browsers (including IE6 etc) will display HTML
> 5 pages (using quirks mode), more information here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3911235/html-5-doctype-and-ie-6
>
> In my opinion this is not an issue, we should be fine to use HTML 5.

AFAICS , HTML5 should be ok . It should be rendered in quirks mode by
major browsers .

I'm not sure what'd happen with small navigators like NetSurf but it
claims to just support HTML 4.

{{{
#!sh

$ apt-cache show netsurf
Package: netsurf
 NetSurf is a multi-platform lightweight web browser. Its aim is to provide
 comprehensive rendering of HTML 4 with CSS 2 in a small resource footprint
 while remaining fast.
[...]

}}}

Once again , it is mandatory to design for disabled JS ... and that's
beyond Netsurf ;)

--
Regards,

Olemis.