From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #146: Inline editing of objects
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 15:56:57 GMT
On 11/26/12, Joachim Dreimann <joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 26 November 2012 06:49, Peter Koželj <peter@digiverse.si> wrote:
>
>> Not sure how much does support for javascript disabled browsers
>> complicate
>> things, but do we really care to support this when everybody is rushing
>> HTML5?
>>
>> I haven't that kind of requirement for a web application in the last 7
>> years or so.
>>
> HTML5 and JavaScript are two different issues, most obviously because one
> is a fix for the other: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_Shiv
> HTML5 will also take some of the weight off JavaScript going forward, for
> example with contentEditable in this context:
> http://html5demos.com/contenteditable
>
> Public sector organisations usually require all software to meet certain
> accessibility standards, and I would suggest that we build to their most
> basic standards at least. Screen readers often struggle with javascript, so
> Gary's suggestion was to at least have JS-less fallback (the current edit
> form). It's acceptable that this won't be pretty; most users will never see
> it.

Yes . Sometimes javascript solution is not available (e.g. disabled,
blocked by firewalls, unexpected errors ...) and pages should fallback
to non-JS behavior . There are even browsers like Netsurf built
without JS support ...

{{{
#!sh

$ apt-cache show netsurf
Package: netsurf
 NetSurf is a multi-platform lightweight web browser. Its aim is to provide
 comprehensive rendering of HTML 4 with CSS 2 in a small resource footprint
 while remaining fast.
[...]

}}}

BTW , some parts of the site are not looking good on Netsurf . If that
deserves some attention , please let me know to create a new ticket
with screenshots .

Unfortunately at the moment that also means that e.g. mainnav and
create ticket shortcut menus won't work . We should take a look at
that too .

--
Regards,

Olemis.