From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.2 (incubating)
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:55:38 GMT
On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 12/11/12 13:19, Branko ─îibej wrote:
>>
>> On 12.11.2012 13:25, Gary Martin wrote:
>>>
>>> OK, when I looked closer at the Trac files it seems that they do
>>> minify some of it after all. Are we happy to maintain this as another
>>> difference between our copy of Trac and upstream?
>>
>> The important question is, are the files minified in the Trac
>> repository, or in their release tarballs? If it's in the repo, well
>> then, my interpretation is that you're just shipping Trac with a few
>> patches (and I expect those patches aren't in the minified code). If
>> it's just in the release tarballs, then I expect the upstream import
>> went awry and needs to be fixed.
>>
>> -- Brane
>>

> It would appear that there is minified code direct in the Trac repositories.
> See http://trac.edgewall.org/browser/trunk/trac/htdocs/js/jquery.js for
> instance.
>
> I suspect we will need a few more opinions from IPMC members to be sure that
> this argument is enough to make the problem go away. I don't particularly
> want to have to maintain more differences from upstream but I prefer to get
> the correct approach in place here.

If upstream has them minified, then I'd suggest just leaving them that way.

Distributions include generated artifacts all the time. Think
"configure". For the BH extensions, changes, I think our repository
should have the original source, and then you generate minified
versions during the distribution process (eg. a dist.sh script that
assembles your release runs the minify tool).

Cheers,
-g