From Gary Martin <>
Subject Re: Browser, HTML and JS support
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:28:29 GMT
Yes, I agree with Joe. In fact, I was just writing myself that I
couldn't entirely agree with the view about no javascript when I saw his

As far as I am concerned, the effort involved in hiding the existing
Modify Ticket form (for example) with jquery is comparable to the effort
of removing the form, and certainly much less than the additional effort
of restoring it and then implementing a solution later.

Meanwhile I find it difficult to spot where anyone has suggested that we
first design for the lowest common denominator. I also don't see any
likelihood of such an attitude appearing. All we are after is (perhaps
barely-) graceful degradation so that certain simple tasks are still

On 30/11/12 16:25, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
> That suggestion seems sensible Peter. For tablets and smartphones we can
> just say that the responsive layout will be optimised for their resolutions.
> Javascript is the only area where I would recommend a different approach:
> Yes, we should design and build assuming it is enabled. We should generally
> provide a fallback though, even if this clunky. For example the quick
> ticket button, which uses JS to show a form. As a fallback, it should
> simply link to the New Ticket page.
> Cheers,
> Joe
> On 29 November 2012 16:54, Peter Koželj <> wrote:
>> The question of browser, html versions and no-JS support came up recently
>> in a couple of threads.
>> This deserves a thread on it own. Here is my proposal:
>> We should migrate to HTML5. We are already using some of it and should make
>> it official (HTML header)
>> DESKTOP BROWSER ("official" support)
>> - Google Chrome on Windows and OSX
>> - Mozilla Firefox  on Windows and OSX
>> - IE on Windows
>> - Safari on OSX
>> For all browser only major versions released in last 18months
>> are officially supported.
>> Compatibility with other or older browser is welcomed but we should not
>> spend extra energy on it or even worse, design UI for it.
>> Responsive layout is nice but to actually support specific devices/browser
>> would require that we actually posses those devices for development and
>> testing.
>> For now I would not support specific devices or platforms. All we can say
>> "screen size adaptable" or something.
>> Is required! We should not spend time and energy on this right now. We have
>> much bigger things to worry about.
>> No javascript fallbacks can always be added later, and it also decreases
>> the risk for designing to the minimal common denominator which is extremely
>> low for non-javascript variant.
>> Regards,
>> Peter

View raw message