From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #258: Upgrade i.a.o/bh to v0.2
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:53:46 GMT
On 20/11/12 12:18, Gary Martin wrote:
> On 20/11/12 11:46, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
>> Thanks for the update Gary - our own Bloodhound instance is now upgraded to
>> 0.2, yay!
>>
>> Olemis has highlighted an issue with the activity feed though, often no
>> events are shown, like on this ticket:
>> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/240
>>
>> Why is that?
>
> Simple.. we only get open and close events at the moment. This might
> be fixed by showing more of the events with
>
>     [timeline]
>     ticket_show_details  =  true
>     abbreviated_messages  =  true
>
> We will still be left with a limit on the time period though. Still we
> can experiment with the site configuration to see if we do want to
> implement #69 or improve further.

There appear to be a few things that need improving on the activity feeds:

  * Using N days back as a means to limit the number of events to show
    appears to be flawed
  * The message shown when no events are available is misleading in
    implying that there could be a misconfiguration. If we are going to
    maintain the above time limit, we need to be far more optimistic.
  * All ticket events should be shown (#69)
  * Events that have comments should have those comments abbreviated by
    default. At some point we will probably want to allow the user to
    view more details of an event without having to go to the ticket but
    that seems secondary to the problem of showing more detail than
    required.

#69 doesn't appear to cover the last point as I think the
abbreviated_messages setting is ignored by the activity area.

Cheers,
     Gary