From Joe Dreimann <joachim.dreim...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #146: Inline editing of objects
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2012 19:15:08 GMT
I think that sounds like a reasonable process given our requirements.

Regarding point 5. though maybe there shouldn't be a submit button in the view state - to
avoid confusion users should only be able to leave the edit state by submitting or reversing
their changes.

That way a submit button in the view state is only needed for the 'new comment' section.

- Joe

________________________
@jdreimann - Twitter
Sent from my phone

On 23 Nov 2012, at 18:50, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:

> OK,
>
> Given the lack of further discussion, I will attempt to propose a solution that begins
to fit the requirements:

> 1. Initial access to a page shows the potentially editable fields in
>   the view state which should more or less match the current view
>   subject to differences specified below
> 2. If the user has the appropriate permissions to modify the ticket, a
>   button is added to toggle between editable and view states (keyboard
>   shortcuts for these actions would also be nice enhancements for later.)
> 3. In the editable state, all fields will be changed to the appropriate
>   kind of control for the field
>     * Any fields that the user does not have permission to change
>       should be locked in a way that is obvious - I would probably say
>       that it is better to be changed to a locked control to make it
>       feel that it is locked on purpose
> 4. A field that is changed relative to the original state should
>   provide an indication of this status in both edit and view states.
> 5. A submit button should be available from either edit or view states
>   - active when there are changes that can be submitted.
> 6. For javascript turned off on the browser, behaviour should revert
>   back to the current separate form with an appropriate links to skip
>   down to it. With javascript on, the form is hidden and the
>   associated navigation item is then not required.
>
> Or something like that. So, apart from a clear idea of how we clearly mark fields as
edited, are there any other holes in this? It is also worth considering if this fits with
the current mechanisms for guarding against conflicts dues to concurrent edits.

Lang wrote:
> [...]
server 50 hops away
I agree but
I don't