From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #146: Inline editing of objects
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2012 07:52:14 GMT

Olemis Lang <olemis@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 10/4/12, Branko Čibej <brane@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>> [...]
>make
>(even
>the
>>>>
>>> ... if you take a look at #146 attachments you'll notice that my
>first
>>> proposal included submit button for select fields . I was told to
>>> revert that .
>>
>> Hmm. "Told to" implies hierarchy.
>
>... or respect to the opinions of the experts , and Joachim is the UI
>expert . When I have radical objections to other people's thoughts and
>ideas (e.g. on the subject of WikiMacros ) or even when I agree but
>there are underlying technical decisions that make it impossible to
>realize some ideas then I express my opinion . This time I don't think
>it was the case . /me studying and learning about UI design , etc ...
>but that's just work in progress . Hence most of the time I won't
>criticize UI decisions beyond «evident» issues I might notice.
>
>So to clarify my position , in this particular case i.e. #146 , I
>declare myself a completely happy neophyte and *so far* I have no
>strong arguments in favor or against any of both approaches . Please
>get to an agreement . In the meantime , if I have something to say
>I'll say it . Just let me know what needs to be done to continue work
>needed to finish patches  for #146 , please .
>
>;)

This is why we need more decisions to be made here. No one person is going to be right on
every decision.

For some reason I didn't get the impression from the discussion in the ticket that it would
result in immediate edits. If more people were watching the discussion, this might have been
caught earlier as something that people would frown upon. Maybe.

Anyway, personally I want to see in-place edits implemented such that the changes are not
sent immediately but should be submitted with a single button.

I would probably be attempting to effectively use the existing form to send the data - I suspect
that at some point we will want the old form hidden but it should probably be available for
js disabled situations.

For me, that would be enough work on the ticket. After that we can build on that work with
things like indicating which fields are edited and perhaps making it easier to comment on
the changes (the comment field is way down the page on long tickets). I would also be interested
in whether people would want to see a confirmation that the user should move away from a page
when there are edits that are not submitted.

Cheers,
    Gary