From Ryan Ollos <ryan.ol...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #195: Make Attach file dialogue a popover
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 22:10:34 GMT
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Joachim Dreimann <
joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On 16 October 2012 21:31, Ryan Ollos <ryan.ollos@wandisco.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> These two points seem to exactly duplicate the Add Comment functionality on
> tickets. If we think this is important, I believe we should rather move to
> attaching files to comments rather than tickets themselves. There are
> various pros and cons to this, and I believe that makes it out of scope for
> this ticket - I have however increased the length of the comment field.
>
> The point of the current comment field should really be to succinctly
> expand on the descriptive quality of the file name. Further information
> really belongs in a Comment on the Ticket itself. I have almost doubled the
> description field now in the mockup though.

Good point. My suggestion to expand the description field to a fully
functional comment field does seem out of scope.

> [...]
>
> In regards to PDFs, using Chrome to open them I almost forget what a pain
> they can be in other browsers (using external applications to view them).

I think this feature would also help with Chrome or any other browser that
opens the PDF in the browser. My experience is, even in Chrome, when I
click on the filename to preview an attachment, I'm first directed to a
page (/attachment/ticket/id/filename) that says the file can't be
previewed, and then I have to click another link to download it. After that
step, the file will either be opened in the browser or downloaded,
depending on the browser and it's settings. My suggestion (and what is
implemented by the PdfRedirectorPlugin) is to allow the user to click on
the preview link, and have the PDF immediately opened in the browser, when
the browser settings allow it.

This feature is also probably out of scope; the only reason I brought it up
is that it drives the suggestion for an X delete button for each attachment
on the ticket page, which we might want to consider at this time.