From Ryan Ollos <ryan.ol...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #195: Make Attach file dialogue a popover
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 20:31:32 GMT
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Olemis Lang <olemis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all .
>
> New mockup has been attached to #195 for this feature in order to make
> attachments form à la GMail | Google+ | ... I'll start working on this
> so early feedback is welcome .
>
> I look forward to your comments.

The mockups look nice, and I think they are headed in the right direction.
I'm not sure how detailed the mockups are intended to be, but I'd suggest
the following:
 * Keeping the Download button that currently exists next to each
attachment filename.
 * Adding a delete button (e.g. an X next to the download link), available
only when the user has permission to delete attachments (TICKET_ADMIN).

Here are a couple of additional things I've found undesirable in the
current Trac attachment module, which we might be able to solve here:

 * The area for entering the description of the attachment (the comment) is
too small. The mockups show this textarea as being rather small as well,
but I'd suggest we try to increase the size of it a bit.

 * There is no way to preview the description that has been entered, which
is particularly problematic when using wiki markup.

 * (Possibly out of scope) When previewing a file for which there is no
renderer available, or a file that exceeds mimeviewer: max_preview_size,
the user is taken to a page where they are told that the file can't be
previewed, and suggesting that they download it ("HTML preview not
available, since no preview renderer could handle it. Try downloading the
file instead."). Maybe we want to directly export (force the download) of
these files? The only downside I see is that it could be slightly confusing
to users as to why a file is downloading when they expected it to render in
the browser (e.g. maybe it was a file that could be previewed, but the file
was too large). Maybe there is a way to work around this, such as adding a
notice on the page.

 * Following on the previous point, for PDFs, it would be nice if they
could be directly rendered in the browser. PdfRedirectoryPlugin is an
extremely simple plugin that does this, and it works fine, except the
ability to directly delete the file is lost (see [2] for workaround).
Having the ability to delete the attachment via an X on the ticket page
would work around this problem.

There is a plugin on Trac-Hacks [3], which might provide some inspiration.
I tried earlier this year to get it working, with no luck. I might give it
another try.

[1] http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/PdfRedirectorPlugin
[2] http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/PdfRedirectorPlugin#Description
[3] http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracDragDropPlugin