From Ryan Ollos <ryan.ol...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Tests and CI (was: A word on Release 2)
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 09:21:42 GMT
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Olemis Lang <olemis@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Besides IMO we should take some time to start writing tests and setup
> CI . This is mainly considering the fact that the number of
> contributors has increased recently and more concurrent changes
> against a more complex implementation means a higher probability to
> e.g. introduce regressions.

Additionally, it would be very nice to have some functional/acceptance
tests for plugins that we pull from a third-party source (primarily
trac-hacks, I imagine). The acceptance test suite might be pretty small to
start with, but having the framework in place at least allows regressions
to be dealt with by putting a test in place. Some recent work was leading
me to consider this - a little off topic, but I'll circle back around here
in a second ;)

Over the past 2-3 days I've been doing some work on the
MasterTicketsPlugin, with the idea that this could possibly be included in
Bloodhound to support a certain type of ticket dependencies. At this stage
I was just study the code and thinking about the features; my next step
will be to raise the issue on the mailing list. I wrote some unit tests,
fixed some bugs and refactored a bunch of code. I feel like it is getting
better, but it would sure be nice to have some functional tests at this
stage, and even more so before pulling a plugin like this into the
Bloodhound project.

So finally, my question. The Trac project uses Twill for functional
testing. I see some tests in bhdashboard, but they appear to be unit tests
from what I can tell. Has there been any discussion or exploration of what
tool(s) to use for functional testing in Bloodhound? I have a very small
amount of experience writing tests in Twill, so I have no idea if that is a
relatively good suite to use. Is there anyone with more experience that can
provide some suggestions? I was planning to try setting up some tests in
Twill for MasterTicketsPlugin and talk about that more when I raise that
issue for discussion soon, but if someone has a better suggestion I would
give it a try.