From Joachim Dreimann <joachim.dreim...@wandisco.com>
Subject Making Bloodhound's layout responsive [ticket #217]
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2012 17:12:25 GMT
Hi everyone,

I believe we should make Bloodhound responsive to better suit mobile and
tablet devices. Bootstrap, which we have already adopted, gives us great
tools to do this<http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/scaffolding.html#responsive>.
Smartphone and tablet growth is still exponential, this will become ever
more important as time passes and Bloodhound picks up in popularity. Also a
responsive layout may help differentiate us from other issue tracking
software.

This will be a long term project, and I believe we should track progress
towards it in a 'Responsive layout' milestone outside of the normal release
cycle. I also believe we should treat the responsive layout as a 'beta'
even as the product itself matures, to allow us to break it down into ever
smaller tasks to better suit our way of working. The improvements, even if
only for parts of any given page, can then be rolled out with each new
release, working towards the full conversion.

My suggestion is to enable it using an opt-in mechanism in the Admin
settings of any Bloodhound deployment, showing a clear 'Responsive layout
beta' banner at the top of pages where the responsive stylesheet is in use.

Responsive Ticket view
mockup<https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7hlp2n01ntwqfa/Bloodhound%20responsive%20ticket%20layout.png>

I have raised ticket #217
<https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/217>to reflect this