From Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si>
Subject Re: ticket associated with multiple versions (Was: Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #234: Quick Ticket: link to /newticket, description and priority)
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:00:37 GMT
On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com>wrote:

> "Peter Koželj" <peter@digiverse.si> wrote:

> >that
> >versions
> >dealing
> >needed.
> >in-description
> >> text.
> >for this
> >point
> >> in
> >enough at
> >> Chosen

> >> [...]
> >how
> >subvert
> >> >

> >> Two suggestions ...
> >>
> >> 1. custom fields
> >> 2. keywords ... or something similar ;)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Olemis.
> >>
> >> Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
> >> Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/
> >>
> >> Featured article:
> >>

> >Ticket needs to be resolved for each individual version separately. So
> >we
> >would need at least status per version.
> >And when the solutions for different versions must be different, one
> >would
> >also appreciate separate descriptions, comments... (but I am not sure
> >this
> >is common enough that it would warent special support).
> >
> >We could stick to ticket per version (as what you have to do now) but
> >link
> >the tickets together with special relation type (when we have ticket
> >relations going). Basically what Gary is suggesting with subtickets but
> >build on top of the ticket relation concept (parent/child, duplicate,
> >version subticket,...) that we need to establish first.
> >
> >From the UI perspective, we could still allow for bulk create of these
> >tickets by selecting multiple versions in the version field and provide
> >the
> >user with ability of on overview of all the linked tickets. Again, also
> >built on top of ticket relations.
> >
> >Personally I am still not decided whether I would rather see multiple
> >versions per ticket or version specific subtickets. But I do need the
> >ability to resolve them separately.
> >
> >Peter
>
> For me it would have to be a user choice as to whether a multi version
> ticket should be split or treated as a single entity. In the latter case I
> would be happy with a single resolution.
>
> Cheers,
>     Gary

As we opened this discussion I have been thinking about this some more.

1. Supporting per version comments, descriptions and attachments just does
not seem worth it. It would complicate things technically as well for the
user for very little benefit.

2. Tickets are not necessarily resolved in the versions to which
they apply (bug for version 1.3 is resolved in 1.4, ticket planned for 1.4
is sliped to 1.5...). It becomes obvious that we need more then
one multiversion ticket field

3. I still want to be able to plan and track progress. Versions are
essential here, so I need that resolution per version thing.
   Taking it all into account we would need 2 multiversion fields (affected
and planned versions) and resolution per planned version:

  o A customer/tester will file a ticket about a bug that affects some
versions.
  o Project manager will make a plan in which versions a fix is necessary
(typically next planned release and a hot fix version for whatever customer
is currently using)
  o Developers will resolve per version as a solution is being applied
across all the planned versions.

It seems that affected versions only apply to bugs and should be the same
as planned for other ticket types.
Ticket should be considered resolved only when all planned versions have
some kind of resolution. It can be the same for all versions or vastly
different.

I guess I am leaning toward the multiversion,multiresolution per ticket
approach. User can still use ticket relations if he has the need to split
the ticket into ticket/version.

Peter