From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tests and CI (was: A word on Release 2)
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 03:50:19 GMT
On 10/9/12, Olemis Lang <olemis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/9/12, Ryan Ollos <ryan.ollos@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 3:43 AM, Gary Martin
>> <gary.martin@wandisco.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I am not sure if I am missing something but isn't selenium the usual
>>> tool
>>> for functional testing of web applications these days?
>
> There are a lot of flavors to choose from in Python . Trust me . I've
> been subscribed to TiP ML since years ago and there are many options
> at hand .

You can get a better idea by consulting the Python testing taxonomy [1]_ [2]_

[...]
>> I didn't realize the Twill project wasn't active, but not suggesting we
>> use
>> it either; just noting that is what the Trac project uses. I found it to
>> be
>> a bit burdensome to write even simple functional tests.
>
> If you mention that after reviewing Trac tests , yes ... Trac
> unitest-style is a PITA ... that's why I wrote my own framework in the
> end
> ;)

I made this precision because writing functional tests using twill ,
wsgi_intercept and doctests is as simple as this [3]_

.. [1] PythonTestingToolsTaxonomy
        (http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonTestingToolsTaxonomy)

.. [2] PythonTestingToolsTaxonomy
        (http://pycheesecake.org/wiki/PythonTestingToolsTaxonomy)

.. [3] In-process Web app testing with twill, wsgi_intercept and doctest
        (http://agiletesting.blogspot.com/2006/04/in-process-web-app-testing-with-twill.html)

--
Regards,

Olemis.