From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: dashboard ticket query ordering
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2012 17:29:21 GMT
> Hi,

:)

> As I understand it, we want the dashboard view to show a list of tickets
> that is likely to be interesting to the viewer. In order to focus in we
> will probably need additional plugins for watched tickets, ticket due
> dates and so on. However, given that these plugins could be turned off
> or ignored, we should probably already be looking at making sure that we
> have a reasonable order for the tickets.

The more I read these kinds of comments the more I think we really
need to implement custom dashboards (i.e. #140 ) . If not the whole
shiny admin web UI (i.e. #83 ) ... well , at least the mechanisms to
store/load dashboard contents from the DB . Static DASHBOARD_SCHEMA
was ok at the beginning nut now it seems we need a better equivalent
solution .

This is not a dream , especially now that there's a patch for #45 .

> At the moment the queries are in ticket created order and the main way
> that this is mitigated is that we have one list of "My Tickets" and one
> for "Active Tickets".

They are two different things afaicr . The former is like «hey! let me
see what should I do next» whereas the later is about «hey! let me see
what's other people doing» .

> I was wondering whether we could order the tickets
> by milestone due date

+1

> while we don't have ticket due dates but this
> appears to require a custom report.

There are widgets for both , ticket queries & reports . If the scope
of this change is limited to ASF issue tracker then let's just create
the report ... but we'll need a patched of Bloodhound itself (<=
gggrrr ) ... which adds extra $0.02 to my initial comment above . If
scope affects Bloodhound distribution then we should add that report
to the list in trac/db_default.py . IMO this could be a patch we could
propose upstream since it'd be nice to notify trac-dev to include it
for e.g. Trac 1.0.1 .

> Secondary ordering should probably
> be by ticket priority for the moment.

+1