From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tests and CI (was: A word on Release 2)
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 03:16:59 GMT
On 10/9/12, Ryan Ollos <ryan.ollos@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Olemis Lang <olemis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> Besides IMO we should take some time to start writing tests and setup
>> CI . This is mainly considering the fact that the number of
>> contributors has increased recently and more concurrent changes
>> against a more complex implementation means a higher probability to
>> e.g. introduce regressions.
>>

> Additionally, it would be very nice to have some functional/acceptance
> tests for plugins that we pull from a third-party source (primarily
> trac-hacks, I imagine). The acceptance test suite might be pretty small to
> start with, but having the framework in place at least allows regressions
> to be dealt with by putting a test in place. Some recent work was leading
> me to consider this - a little off topic, but I'll circle back around here
> in a second ;)

What do you mean exactly ? Something like using Gherkin (e.g. Lettuce)
to describe user stories ?

If that's the case I agree ... *when* this is worthy , of course .
Otherwise , I look forward to know what are your ideas about .

[...]
> I feel like it is getting
> better, but it would sure be nice to have some functional tests at this
> stage, and even more so before pulling a plugin like this into the
> Bloodhound project.

Well , it's not quite a big deal for the time being . IMO the first /
cheapeast step towards testing + CI is to run Trac test suite with
Bloodhound patches applied .

> So finally, my question. The Trac project uses Twill for functional
> testing. I see some tests in bhdashboard, but they appear to be unit tests
> from what I can tell.

Let me check ... oh yes !
Now I see . That's the way I write doctests for Trac plugins . All of
them rely on a custom mini-framework built on top of dutest module
[1]_ , but the version I used is not publicly available yet .

> Has there been any discussion or exploration of what
> tool(s) to use for functional testing in Bloodhound?

nope .

> I have a very small
> amount of experience writing tests in Twill,

fwiw Trac uses twill , so you can learn if you want by reviewing their code
;)

> so I have no idea if that is a
> relatively good suite to use.

IMO , yes .

> Is there anyone with more experience that can
> provide some suggestions? I was planning to try setting up some tests in
> Twill for MasterTicketsPlugin and talk about that more when I raise that
> issue for discussion soon, but if someone has a better suggestion I would
> give it a try.

If you ask me go with twill ... that should be more than enough and
you'll also be able to reuse Trac shared fixture infrastructure , and
everything else they have been building since time ago .
;)

.. [1] dutest @ PyPI
        (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/dutest)

--