From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tests and CI (was: A word on Release 2)
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 03:20:58 GMT
On 10/9/12, Ryan Ollos <ryan.ollos@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 3:43 AM, Gary Martin
> <gary.martin@wandisco.com>wrote:
>
>> I am not sure if I am missing something but isn't selenium the usual tool
>> for functional testing of web applications these days?

There are a lot of flavors to choose from in Python . Trust me . I've
been subscribed to TiP ML since years ago and there are many options
at hand .

BTW , Twill and Selenium can be used altogether [1]_ .

>> And someone has
>> just
>> pointed out to me that twill's last release was in 2007.

I'll forward this question onto TiP ML to know more about the subject
. AFAICR , part of it became wsgi-intercept project and was actively
maintained the last time I took a look at it (... at the time hosted
by Google Code ... somewhere ...) , but I'm not pretty sure of its
status now .

> I didn't realize the Twill project wasn't active, but not suggesting we use
> it either; just noting that is what the Trac project uses. I found it to be
> a bit burdensome to write even simple functional tests.

If you mention that after reviewing Trac tests , yes ... Trac
unitest-style is a PITA ... that's why I wrote my own framework in the
end
;)

PS: BTW , twill is more than yet another testing framework ... Indeed
it becomes such a thing when wsgi-intercept is activated .

.. [1] An Introduction to Testing Web Applications with twill and Selenium
        (http://books.google.com.cu/books?isbn=0596527802)

--
Regards,

Olemis.