From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #146: Inline editing of objects
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2012 03:17:56 GMT
On 10/4/12, Branko Čibej <brane@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 04.10.2012 18:33, Olemis Lang wrote:
[...]
>>> I don't like the inconsistency there. Personally I would store up the
>>> changes, marking which fields are altered in some way and provide a
>>> means to submit those changes as a set.
>>>
>> That's the way in-place editing works [1]_
>>
>> .. [1] jEditable # How does in place editing work?
>>         (http://www.appelsiini.net/projects/jeditable)

[...]
> Ticket changes should be complete and intentional,

+1

> not
> something that happens because some bit of code downloaded from
> somewhere happens to "work that way".

I think you are misunderstanding my previous comment . Firstly
in-place edits happen one at a time , at least that's what they are
meant to be . What I said should be interpreted as «that's the common
way of doing things» , not as /me saying «we have to do it that way
because everybody does» . I did it that way because I was told to do
it that way . Indeed ...

> As a user using a web application with the server 50 hops away with a
> 1.5 second ping time, I'd be very, very pissed off if every click I make
> generates a POST request to somewhere; even if it's an async XHR (even
> worse! then I don't know in what order the server actually receives the
> requests).

... if you take a look at #146 attachments you'll notice that my first
proposal included submit button for select fields . I was told to
revert that .

[...]
> Right
> now it looks like someone's crowing, "Look ma, no hands!" just before
> they fall on their face.

I'd rather say it looks like

kid - Hey ma , what is Polyethylene terephthalate for ?
ma - It's used to produce plastic bottles , like those for soft-drinks ... :)
dad - Oh no ! At Hong-Kong they raise building from the ground up with that

PS: Please decide what you are going to do about this feature so that
I can continue with it . I'm hoping we'll still can reuse at least the
custom visual editors already implemented in submitted patches .

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/