From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #223: Prepare ticket view for responsive layout
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:10:58 GMT
On 26/10/12 06:47, Olemis Lang wrote:
> I'd select (2) instead . Option (3) will make it a bit hard to check
> for permissions in the request handler almost to the point that it
> should be implemented from scratch . Link to ticket milestone is
> present in query results view anyway . CMIIW .
>
> On 10/25/12, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> On 25/10/12 19:37, Olemis Lang wrote:
>>> Hi !
>>> :)
>>>
>>> On 10/25/12, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> in the case of dashboard view I see no reason to include a link to self .
>> For me there is a conspicuousness of absence when it is there for other
>> views but you may be right. Though it would make sense to have it if the
>> other resource pages are always going to display their id or name as
>> part of the breadcrumb. I don't know think we want a link to self in
>> these cases unless someone has a use for that.

>>> I wonder what will be more useful . Nonetheless if tickets scheduled
>>> for a given milestone are listed in there then it all makes sense to
>>> me . The only thing I notice is that a different permission is needed
>>> to access milestone page rather than query (i.e. MILESTONE_VIEW vs
>>> TICKET_VIEW ) . Thus users navigating to milestone view using nav
>>> links in breadcrumbs area might be frustrated as they'll always get
>>> «forbidden» error message .
>> Very interesting.. the fact remains that we have these views so we
>> should really be using them when we can. Three possibilities spring to
>> mind:
>>
>>   1. stick with a query which is consistent between the situations
>>   2. choose to display the milestone page or the query depending on the
>>      granted permissions
>>   3. show our milestone page regardless but use the MILESTONE_VIEW
>>      permission to decide whether to render information about the
>>      milestone other than the ticket queries and the events.
>>
>> I think I would go for the last of those options and it should work for
>> other milestone links too.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>       Gary

The existence or otherwise of a milestone link in a custom query view
does not seem to be the best criterion for deciding which link to use in
the breadcrumb. Option 2 may be a bit less effort so I can go along with
that for the moment. I think we should move towards option 3 in the long
term though.

Cheers,
     Gary