From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: ticket associated with multiple versions (Was: Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #234: Quick Ticket: link to /newticket, description and priority)
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:56:53 GMT
On 18/10/12 13:00, Peter Koželj wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com>wrote:

>>> that
>>> versions
>>> dealing
>>> needed.
>>> in-description
>>> for this
>>> point
>>> enough at

>>> how
>>> subvert

>>> Ticket needs to be resolved for each individual version separately. So
>>> we
>>> would need at least status per version.
>>> And when the solutions for different versions must be different, one
>>> would
>>> also appreciate separate descriptions, comments... (but I am not sure
>>> this
>>> is common enough that it would warent special support).
>>>
>>> We could stick to ticket per version (as what you have to do now) but
>>> link
>>> the tickets together with special relation type (when we have ticket
>>> relations going). Basically what Gary is suggesting with subtickets but
>>> build on top of the ticket relation concept (parent/child, duplicate,
>>> version subticket,...) that we need to establish first.
>>>
>> >From the UI perspective, we could still allow for bulk create of these
>>> tickets by selecting multiple versions in the version field and provide
>>> the
>>> user with ability of on overview of all the linked tickets. Again, also
>>> built on top of ticket relations.
>>>
>>> Personally I am still not decided whether I would rather see multiple
>>> versions per ticket or version specific subtickets. But I do need the
>>> ability to resolve them separately.
>>>
>>> Peter
>> For me it would have to be a user choice as to whether a multi version
>> ticket should be split or treated as a single entity. In the latter case I
>> would be happy with a single resolution.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>      Gary
>>

> As we opened this discussion I have been thinking about this some more.
>
> 1. Supporting per version comments, descriptions and attachments just does
> not seem worth it. It would complicate things technically as well for the
> user for very little benefit.
>
> 2. Tickets are not necessarily resolved in the versions to which
> they apply (bug for version 1.3 is resolved in 1.4, ticket planned for 1.4
> is sliped to 1.5...). It becomes obvious that we need more then
> one multiversion ticket field
>
> 3. I still want to be able to plan and track progress. Versions are
> essential here, so I need that resolution per version thing.
>     Taking it all into account we would need 2 multiversion fields (affected
> and planned versions) and resolution per planned version:
>
>    o A customer/tester will file a ticket about a bug that affects some
> versions.
> [...]

Clearly the way that the process works will be somewhat dependent on
which versions remain supported. Equally it depends on the way that they
work. A likely scenario is that a solution would first be created on
trunk for future releases and the fix applied or adapted to other
supported versions.

I think that multiresolution might be going a bit too far as it is not
just multiresolution but multiple parallel workflow as a whole. I think
it is better to model the process on multple tickets instead as the user
benefits from all the per-ticket behaviour.

So, another alternative would be to see if we can create a combined
ticket view for tickets in any relationship structure. The nice thing
about this would that it could benefit more situations than just
multiple versions.

Cheers,
     Gary