From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #206: Ticket fields layout broken if custom textarea fields are declared
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2012 14:28:46 GMT
On 09/10/12 11:49, Apache Bloodhound wrote:
> #206: Ticket fields layout broken if custom textarea fields are declared
> ------------------------+-----------------------------------
>    Reporter:  olemis     |      Owner:  olemis
>        Type:  defect     |     Status:  accepted
>   Component:  ui design  |    Version:
> Resolution:             |   Keywords:  ticket field textarea
> ------------------------+-----------------------------------
>
> Comment (by jdreimann):
>
>   Replying to [comment:11 olemis]:
>   > Replying to [comment:10 jdreimann]:
>   > [...] It seems to me that description field is more relevant than any
>   possible text or textarea custom ticket field a ticket might ever have .
>   Those are not in there «to give a quick overview of the state of the
>   ticket» but to document some aspects related to the ticket (e.g. ''Release
>   notes'' and ''API changes'' defined in t.e.o issue tracker). Hence it's a
>   reasonable decision to place description `div.well` above those fields .
>
>   I see your point. I wouldn't mind if you set that as the default, we can
>   change it based on actual user feedback later if desired.
>
>   > After applying `pull-right` class to field label it looks like this .
>   [...]
>
>   I think that's enough of an improvement to go with it for now. Ultimately
>   I believe we'd want the `Keys` to be left-aligned to make them more easily
>   scannable, but currently the potentially huge gap this leaves between
>   `Keys` and `Values` reduces overall readability in my view.

It looks like the conversation continued on the ticket for a bit.

The upshot appears to be that the suggested patches will put the
description closer to the top of the ticket, separating out the custom
fields.

In addition I think we will end up with a two column layout.

I will need to test those assertions as I am not sure that is precisely
what the associated screenshot in the ticket suggests:
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/attachment/ticket/174/bh_theme_x_77_ticket_scrollspy_v3.png

(note that the scrollspy button bar above the fields is a result of a
different ticket which I hope to review shortly).

I will attempt to assess the patches themselves but all thoughts are
welcome.

Cheers,
     Gary