From Branko ─îibej <>
Subject Re: Managing plugin dependencies WAS: Tests and CI (was: A word on Release 2)
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 04:19:07 GMT
On 11.10.2012 05:49, Olemis Lang wrote:
>> None of the above is a showstopper, but the interlocked dependencies
>> will make managing feature-stable Bloodhound releases a bit like
>> juggling eggs. It can be done, but you'd better not drop one. :)
> well ... that has already happened . Trac-devs changed component
> architecture slightly in 1.0 . Hence ThemeEnginePlugin didn't work
> anymore . So we submitted a patch to t-h.o issue tracker .
> ThemeEnginePlugin has not been updated since 2 years ago , nobody
> cared . We managed to patch our own copy of Trac to make it work
> without requiring any changes in ThemeEnginePlugin . That's exactly
> what we are all using nowadays , otherwise the new design would not be
> a reality . I requested maintainership of ThemeEnginePlugin days ago
> and I'm in charge now ... so I don't see the storm coming yet .

/You/ requested maintainership. How does that help Apache Bloodhound if,
two weeks or two years from now, you find a new interest in life and
stop maintaining it?

The issue I see here is that, essentially, the Apache Bloodhound
community doesn't have any real control over some of the core components
of Bloodhound-the-product. That's nothing new in either Apache or open
source in general; the difference is that BH has so /many/ mandatory
external dependencies for very fundamental, core functionality.

It's not an engineering problem, it's a management problem; and
open-source projects are notoriously bad at handling complex management

I guess I'm just worried about the long-term stability and viability of
the project.

> <joke>
> Titanium eggs never break , sir
> :D