From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] New release process
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2012 15:21:49 GMT
I can agree with the monthly release as a good idea in principle but I
don't think that the meaningful milestones idea is that useful.

I still want to see a milestone used to decide on a reasonable amount of
work to do towards a given release. Feature development would
essentially be cross milestone in this model. The component system may
work well enough for that at the moment. The scope of the work expected
for a given release is not made any more predictable by using milestones
as cross-release categorisation.

Personally I am hoping for a little more discipline from those who like
to add more and more tickets to the active milestone.

Cheers,
     Gary

On 08/10/12 13:15, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to propose a new release process for releases after 0.2 (once accepted).
>
> Our current process (as I understand it):
> - A milestone containing tickets we believe should be fixed for the release is created.
> - Someone volunteers as release manager at an arbitrary point and packages up a release
ready to be voted on.
> - All uncompleted tickets in the milestone are moved to the next upcoming milestone.
>
> In my opinion this is a messy process in which releases are unpredictable in scope and
frequency.

> Proposed new process:
> 1. Monthly release cycle with the packages ready to be voted on during the first full
week of the month.
> 2. Milestones are for meaningful goals we're working towards. For example: Multi product,
Responsive Layout, etc
> 3. Versions are set up reflecting the priority Milestones for the next release. When
the release is being packaged up, all tickets fixed since the last release are assigned to
the Version.

> Obviously that would make the release frequency very predictable. I believe it also better
reflects our actual working practice in the project better and make it easier for new contributors
to pick up tickets. Meaningful Milestones allow us to track how we're progressing towards
goals such as Multi Product or a Responsive Layout over several versions. Versions would clearly
reflect what has been covered in each release, and bugs can be raised against them.

> Longer term, with more contributors, we may get to a point where we're able to complete
one or more whole milestones within each release cycle.

> I'm sure we will come across situations where we need to make exceptions to this process,
but please provide feedback on whether the plan itself is sound, not the possible exceptions.