From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OSX installation (Was: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 incubating Released)
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 00:09:50 GMT
AFAIK one of the goals of pip is exactly to add multi-platform
uninstall commands for python packages . Python packaging modules have
been patched and improved since long time ago due to the fact that
initial design of distutils module didn't consider many capabilities .
Hence the need for setuptools, distribute, pip , ... For some reason
uninstall commands is one of those Ā«missing featuresĀ» . However , to
be honest I *never* install python packages via pip . I use GNU/Linux
(Debian + Ubuntu to be more precise ...) most of the time since years
ago and I always rely on the native deb+apt package manager to handle
this . They provide a lot of tools I use quite often and have been
actively developed since long time ago . So I'm way behind on the
field of building multi-platform installers for Python packages.

Just a comment ... now, to the point ... In the specific case of
Bloodhound we could try to use bundles . Nonetheless , considering the
fact that we rely on t-h.o plugins then licensing and other
interactions shall be considered when preparing a release . Besides
we'll still need virtualenvs because our copy of trac differs
substantially from the mainstream . And substantially means that some
important features in Bloodhound will not work if using Trac packages
lacking features introduced in patches committed onto ASF repository .

So ... picture is complicated . Maybe the solution is to build a
native Mac OS installer for virtualenv ? Does such a solution already
exist ? Would it be enough ? Maybe we decide to enhance installer to
detect whether command line tools are not available and install them ?

Depending on the answers maybe we'll get nowhere and walk in circles ,
but at least I tried to think about it , and maybe someone starting
from here will find the light at the end of the tunnel

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/