From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Proposal of pending tasks for beginners WAS: #187: Remove row count and results pagination from Dashboard (Was: Re: Trying to get started on Bloodhound development)
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2012 16:20:19 GMT
On 09/21/2012 03:59 PM, Branko ─îibej wrote:
> On 21.09.2012 16:29, Olemis Lang wrote:
>> On 9/21/12, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>> Could do but I am not sure that we should even list the higher priority
>>> work there. Would it put potential contributors off by making them feel
>>> that they would have more pressure on them when they are just finding
>>> their feet in the project?
>>>
>> ok , leave it out ... ;)
>> what about order by milestone due date , if set ? Would a similar
>> argument still be valid ?
> Contributors are, by definition, volunteers. They'll typically pick
> tasks in this order: a) things they find interesting/useful, b) things
> their employers want, c) things the project roadmap suggests. There's no
> way to force (c) before (a), so I see no good reason to try.
>
> -- Brane

Yeah, I don't want to be limiting contributors to a specific milestone.
I could see encouragement of those who become long term contributors to
work more on the current milestone but what I think is more likely to
happen is that more tickets that interest such contributors will start
to go into the current milestone.

New contributors should certainly be free to look at all the work and,
hopefully, we can help them to assess whether their choice of
interesting ticket is likely to rely on some other piece of work being
completed first.

With this list, I just want to see a sample of tickets, no particular
order and I'll avoid the temptation to restrict priority. At least for
now anyway.

Cheers,
     Gary