From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating) (RC1)
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 04:27:02 GMT
my comments below . Please recall that I'm not an expert neither in
the art of licensing nor in ASF best practices and standards .

On 8/2/12, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com>
> wrote:
>> Please vote:
>> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0
>> [ ] +0 Don't care
>> [ ] -1 Do not release this package (please explain)
>
> +1 to release.
>
> Changes that I'd suggest for the next release:

[...]
> * remove LICENSE/NOTICE from bloodhound_* subdirs. just the top-level
> dir is proper. (and maybe generally simplify; eg. why CHANGES in
> bloodhound_dashboard?)

Even if Bloodhound is distributed in a single file (tarball) it is
developed in the form of a set of plugins . bloodhound_* folders
contain source code for each one of them . License files are in there
because it makes sense to checkout only that particular subset of the
code in svn repos , build the corresponding plugin, install it and use
it . Indeed it's also possible to build packages for each plugin and
distribute them .

Is this a reason good enough to keep license files in bloodhound_* folders ?

> * found another NOTICE in doc/html-templates/ (?!)

+1 for removing it .

> * is doc/wireframes supposed to be shipped in the release?

I don't think so

[...]
> * would also be nice to indicate what release/revision of Trac is
> incorporated into this release,

for Release 2 (... or maybe later) we have to work on this direction.
We need to know that information in code as well . Right now it turns
out that the revision number in the footer represents changeset ID
corresponding to ASF repos rather than Trac's . My initial suggestion
is to update footer with something like

{{{