From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unable to install bloodhound from svn, pip install fails
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 23:55:44 GMT
On 8/22/12, Branko Čibej <brane@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 22.08.2012 19:32, Gary Martin wrote:
>>
>> On 08/22/2012 05:36 PM, Olemis Lang wrote:
>>>    - TracPermRedirect is not hosted in PyPI
>>
>> Looks like it is there to me.

Oops !
I coudn't find it ...
:'(

[...]
>>> IMO we should have a small package index (in ASF repository ?) in
>>> order to provide alternate download links (e.g. PyPI , Bitbucket ,
>>> ...) to handle situations like this .
>>
>> A local ASF cheeseshop might be interesting, although I don't know
>> whether it is something that would be difficult to argue for.
>
> Given the ASF policy for releasing source, not binary packages, it's not
> very likely to happen.

Hmmm ... It seems everything I said was not understood the way I
wanted to. So I'll try to explain myself better . I was talking about
creating somewhere (ASF repos, file attached to wiki, or somewhere
else) an index listing candidate files for downloading plugins. Just
that . Links would point to external website (e.g. t-h.o) just in a
way similar to requirements files including t-h.o URLs nowadays . The
benefit of using index file over requirements spec is mainly that it'd
be possible to state e.g. «try to download ThemeEngine from t-h.o
otherwise consider PyPI, else try unofficial Bitbucket repository,
...» . The index limited to the plugins we need to run Bloodhound . In
order to do so , afaics we could track versions of those index files
in ASF repos , isn't it ?

> Furthermore, ASF infrastructure is intended to
> support (and, to a the extent of covering the needs of the Foundation,
> host) ASF projects, not to provide a repository for third-party
> software; the legal implications of which I won't even try to go into,
> but I expect they're not trivial.

All this implies no foreign code in ASF repos as we'd be storing in
there only the index file we need , nothing else .

PS: Of course the perfect solution would be to implement support in
pip for installing packages in subfolders of Hg & Git repos ... but

Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:
Resolviendo el problema 1 de la IMO 2012 con inversión -
http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/2012/08/resolviendo-el-problema-1-de-la-imo.html