From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating) (RC1)
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 10:20:31 GMT
On 08/06/2012 10:55 AM, Branko ─îibej wrote:
> On 06.08.2012 11:40, Gary Martin wrote:
>> By the way, are there any alternatives to RAT? Perhaps it does not
>> make so much sense to maintain multiple tools for the same purpose
>> but, at the same time, it seems a bit of overkill for a project that
>> uses neither Maven or Java for anything else.
>>
>> Well, just wondering really.
> I'm not aware of any such alternative. I agree with the sentiment that
> RAT is somewhat top-heavy in this context, but then, using it to check
> compliance with ASF guidelines doesn't really make it part of the
> project. And by the time Bloodhound graduates, it's pretty much assumed
> that the PMC is able to control what goes in without requiring a RAT
> report before every release.
>
> -- Brane

Well, I would expect the kind of checking that RAT provides would always
give piece of mind, if not being strictly necessary once everything is
in a good state. The question is more whether just those few steps will
deter people from running the tool for themselves. That might be
considered a small barrier to participation.

Really I am just thinking of my own temporary inconvenience of course. I
should probably just keep quiet and just put it into an automated
release testing mechanism. Perhaps we can run this on a buildbot slave
so that the output from RAT can be linked to and we will have confidence
in how it is run.

Cheers,
     Gary