From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject CI and virtualenv (Was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating) (RC1))
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 01:31:43 GMT

On 02/08/12 01:57, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On 8/1/12, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> On 30/07/12 12:48, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
>>> Just for the record, I have downloaded reviewed the files to my technical
>>> ability.
>>>
>>> +1 for the release from me.
>>>
> I second that . The only thing I can mention is that even if manual
> installation procedure works for me , on the other hand all the
> attempts I made so as to install it from tarball in a Jenkins build
> job have failed . This is mainly because :
>
> 1. I'm not a proficient Jenkins user ...
> 2. it seems there's an issue with virtualenv somewhere and ...
> 3. I've not been able to dedicate any time to this task after the
>      few initial experiments

I appear to have been able to get things going with Buildbot with the
virtualenv instructions, although I am not convinced that you can really
activate the virtualenv in a buildstep. I didn't try this and instead
resorted to a bit of trickery through which python binary was used after
virtualenv creation.

To be fair, there is no specific need to use virtualenv, as long as you
have a fresh environment each time. My attempts so far have not been
with throwaway VMs. Of course, I am sure that there will be other ways
to isolate a python environment.

Cheers,
     Gary