From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Layout suggestion - affects Dashboard, Product, Version, Milestone
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2012 16:01:59 GMT
Hi !

I'm replying to this message , but I arranged messages a little bit in
order to eliminate top-posting , in spite of making this thread more
readable ... or at least make it clear what part of the message I'm
replying to ...

On 4/13/12, Gary <gary.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 04/12/2012 03:38 PM, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
>> I've got a suggestion to improve the layout I've previously drawn up
>> for Dashboard, Product, Version and Milestone pages.

[...]
>> I believe it would be quicker to navigate and easier to use if all of
>> these are shown at the same time:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bloodhound/trunk/doc/html-templates/product.html
>>
>> This would then provide further links to edit/add items and view a
>> full list. Currently my suggestion is to use a modal overlay for these
>> via the icons provided, but I'm well aware of the downsides of modals
>> and would be grateful for better suggestions!
>>

> Thanks for that Joe..
>
> Well, the only obvious alternatives to a modal view that I can think of
> at short notice would be:
>
>   * change to the edit/add/list page
>   * in-place editing and adding (add could create an empty placeholder
>     for a new version/milestone)
>   * list view could work more like a dropdown list

IMO we can also insert links to the corresponding pages for client
browsers with JS disabled and , at the same time , prepare for the
case when JS is enabled by intercepting click events in order to
launch modal dialogs . In theory it's possible to use a combination of
the methods mentioned above by Gary . My $0.02 .

>> Also on Product/Version screens only high importance tickets would be
>> shown by default, while on the Dashboard and Milestone views tickets
>> of all priority levels would be shown.

This is not considered in current implementation , but it's possible
to do so . I wonder what happens if there are no such high-priority
tickets at a given time . For instance , right now it seems to me that
there's a single critical ticket in Bloodhound issue tracker , whereas
we have quite a few major & minor & ... open tickets . If this is the
case , will it list only one ticket in product / version screens ?

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/