From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The case for user-defined dashboards (i.e. #140) WAS: Layout suggestion - affects Dashboard, Product, Version, Milestone
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2012 00:00:52 GMT
> On 07/19/2012 11:49 PM, Olemis Lang wrote:

[...]
>> So afaics there are (at least) two ways to go :
>>
>>    1. to implement a separate area accessible at a
>>       different navigation route (i.e. URL)
>>       specific for e.g. team leaders
>>    2. to have a single view called dashboard
>>       (ok, we already have one ;) and let it be
>>       flexible enough as to satisfy everybody's
>>       requirements
>>
>> I'd rather choose option (2). To my eyes the main task of team leader
>> might not be too involved in solving tickets . Maybe he'd be more
>> comfortable with aggregating and analyzing team data , and ...
>
>  From my point of view, there is actually no big difference between
> these users.

But for other roles , perhaps yes , may be there's such a difference .
Team leaders are just an example .
;)

> Team leaders should also be expected to have their own
> tickets.

... this is still consistent with my previous comments if using option
(2) above . If they are still interested in tickets let's include
needed widgets in team leader's dashboard too . It's also possible
think of it this way : if they are still interested in tickets let's
extend dashboard with widgets rendering data relevant for team leaders
.

> Anyway, I don't think it makes sense at this point to decide to go down
> the route of making a single view flexible to this extent this early. It
> is not that it shouldn't be something we look to eventually, but I think
> it would be better to provide a good set of views by default instead,
> without a user having to decide what is most useful for them.

jftr , in spite of clarifying my initial proposal . I'm not thinking
of forcing a user to decide what's most useful for them . That's why I
said since the beginning that we can provide default widgets for e.g.
role-specific views . So , the user won't be required to design a view
or even select widgets , etc . I posted the request thinking of users
who want to include other custom widgets in dashboard view . So far
they can't do so .

Indeed , if you want me to be more precise I was in first place
thinking of myself installing Bloodhound in a public site on the
internet and wishing to add other information in main dashboard view .
Te way things are going I just can't do so ... <= frustrating

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/