From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: moving towards initial release
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 21:54:03 GMT
> Hi,

Hi !

> I think it is about time that we move properly towards creating an
> initial release for the Apache Bloodhound project.

yeehaw !

> Some of you may have
> noticed that I have created new milestones and I have slowly been moving
> tickets around to indicate things that might happen in future releases.

good work
:)

[...]

> Anyway, as a fundamental part of a release is that it consists of the
> necessary source to build the project, we need to make sure that our
> installer is fit for the task of installing in that form, or, at least,
> we give adequate instructions for how the project is built without using
> the simple installer. Either way, changes to the installer should be
> expected.

About this I wanted to suggest you to take a look at Trac's Makefile .
That approach seems to be connsistent with Trac develeopment workflow
and afaics might help to build packages for specific platforms and
environments (e.g. Linux dpkg , rpm ... , Windows msi , exe ...
database PostgreSQL , SQLite , ... and so on ) . Maybe it'd be nice to
add new Bloodhound-specific targets in there e.g. bloodhound_configure
bloodhound_install , ...

> There are going to be lots of other criteria for making sure that we get
> a valid release from Apache's point of view

which are ... ?

> so it will be good to get
> them understood and covered as soon as possible.

I look forward to know more about this subject .

> Any advice would be
> great. It will probably help for us to have a set of standard tickets
> that we can use to track our progress that can be replicated for future
> releases.

... and if release process (... or part of it ...) can be automated
with Jenkins or Hudson or ... that may be a good starting point .

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/