From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: The case for user-defined dashboards (i.e. #140) WAS: Layout suggestion - affects Dashboard, Product, Version, Milestone
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:58:47 GMT
On 07/26/2012 01:00 AM, Olemis Lang wrote:
> jftr , in spite of clarifying my initial proposal . I'm not thinking
> of forcing a user to decide what's most useful for them . That's why I
> said since the beginning that we can provide default widgets for e.g.
> role-specific views . So , the user won't be required to design a view
> or even select widgets , etc . I posted the request thinking of users
> who want to include other custom widgets in dashboard view . So far
> they can't do so .
>
> Indeed , if you want me to be more precise I was in first place
> thinking of myself installing Bloodhound in a public site on the
> internet and wishing to add other information in main dashboard view .
> Te way things are going I just can't do so ... <= frustrating

I would argue that your frustration is from knowing what is possible in
principle.

And I would argue further that the cases you want to support by using a
customisable dashboard might be done better with wiki pages and the
widgets provided by macros. I suspect that widget macros are likely to
becoming a reality sooner.

Anyway, I think what might help is if I come up with a more definite
plan around how the dashboard and related items will evolve, or we will
be arguing about this for a while! Hopefully I will get back to you soon
with that.

Cheers,
     Gary