From Gary Martin <>
Subject Re: The case for user-defined dashboards (i.e. #140) WAS: Layout suggestion - affects Dashboard, Product, Version, Milestone
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:25:08 GMT
On 07/19/2012 11:49 PM, Olemis Lang wrote:
>> it is
>> clearly possible to extend this idea to multiple users or groups.
> Yes . For instance , if we had user defined dashboards it'd be
> possible to design dashboards (i.e. select contents and place it in
> relevant parts of the web UI) for users interested on the same
> information, maybe belonging to well-known groups .
>> Presumably this could be of use to a team leader for instance. I do not
>> recall a discussion here about how to help a team leader might see the
>> details of the teams work.
> ... and here we have yet another important comment . We have
> identified at least two roles (i.e. developer vs team leader) . I
> insist once again they care about different details of the same unique
> development process . So afaics there are (at least) two ways to go :
>    1. to implement a separate area accessible at a
>       different navigation route (i.e. URL)
>       specific for e.g. team leaders
>    2. to have a single view called dashboard
>       (ok, we already have one ;) and let it be
>       flexible enough as to satisfy everybody's
>       requirements
> I'd rather choose option (2). To my eyes the main task of team leader
> might not be too involved in solving tickets . Maybe he'd be more
> comfortable with aggregating and analyzing team data , and ...

 From my point of view, there is actually no big difference between
these users. Team leaders should also be expected to have their own

Anyway, I don't think it makes sense at this point to decide to go down
the route of making a single view flexible to this extent this early. It
is not that it shouldn't be something we look to eventually, but I think
it would be better to provide a good set of views by default instead,
without a user having to decide what is most useful for them.

View raw message