From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Layout suggestion - affects Dashboard, Product, Version, Milestone
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2012 00:35:49 GMT
On 17/07/12 13:20, Joe Dreimann wrote:

> ________________________
> @jdreimann - Twitter
> Sent from my phone
>
> On 17 Jul 2012, at 13:44, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:
>
>> On 07/17/2012 09:53 AM, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
>>> [..] What do you think?
>> Well, I don't like distinguishing blockers and critical as being particularly special.
> That's ok. I also didn't consider that these can be modified by users, which would make
it unfeasible anyway.

>> I suggest that we consider the most important tickets to be members of the top N
priority levels represented in tickets of a given milestone. We could then use the dates of
milestones to determine which tickets are likely to be more interesting (assuming that a ticket
is not given its own due date through a plugin.)

>> For this to work at its best, milestones would have to have due dates but this could
be an incentive to set them.

>> I understand that the selection of tickets we are discussing is distinct from the
list of tickets that are [assigned to|watched by] the user. We should also consider whether
these lists should be allowed to overlap. If we are expecting users to discuss the list of
tickets displayed with reference to a dashboard view, it might be expected that certain lists
would be identical for the viewers. On the other hand, a ticket listed twice on a page seems
a bit silly so it would probably be helpful to instead provide the means for the user to see
the dashboard style views of a different user - probably with redacted parts for where there
is information that the viewing user does not have the relevant permissions to view.
> I'm happy for them to overlap. It's unlikely that they will significantly anyway in a
common setup considering the number of users it would have and assuming some division of the
work.

You make a good point but the assumption of a large set of users is an
interesting one. Still, even if there is often significant overlap, that
does not prove it to be inherently bad. It seems more like a judgement
call where you have consistency of that part of the view between users
against any perceived problem with replication. We can always wait for
calls to make it a configuration option or a user preference.

> The discussion aspect is a good point I hadn't considered yet. When your priorities and
the overall priorities overlap significantly that also provides helpful feedback which may
trigger helpful conversations.

Like.. 'why have you got all the high priority tickets?' Yes, that is a
reasonable point.

Talking of the possibility of seeing another user's dashboards, it is
clearly possible to extend this idea to multiple users or groups.
Presumably this could be of use to a team leader for instance. I do not
recall a discussion here about how to help a team leader might see the
details of the teams work. It might be better to provide a slightly
different layout (perhaps separating their own tickets and the team's)
but at the moment we do not have the ability to distinguish this kind of
user. A team dashboard might be helpful to more than just the team
leader of course. Perhaps this is something to break into a new thread.

Cheers,
     Gary